Thursday, October 1, 2009

Perspectives

Same game. Different fans. Different perspectives. But somewhat surprising nonetheless.

Per the Daily Collegian:

From an Iowa Fan:

I felt compelled to write this letter to show my appreciation for the way my friend and I were treated with respect and friendship by the Penn State fans and residents of the state.

The beauty of the state, the campus and the town combined with the hospitality and the great football atmosphere you have in State College was worth coming the distance to the game.

I plan to return again in the future. I only hope that Penn State fans making the trip to Iowa City next year will receive the many "good luck at the game" wishes and the other friendly overtures we received (directions, advice on not to drink on the street, friendly conversation, etc).

You Are ... Penn State and well deserving of that pride.


But a Penn State Alum had a different experience:

During Saturday's game against Iowa, university police were repeatedly brought into our section to put a stop to the unfathomable lawlessness of ... standing and cheering for our team.

I have no issue with the police. It's the stodgy, crotchety "fans" who were appalled when some of us in sections EG/EGU dared to show some enthusiasm. I think it's more than coincidental that all of those who were admonished for the unthinkable act of standing at a football game were wearing white while the ones doing the complaining were wearing a rainbow of colors at the White Out game.

If you don't want to actually have fun at Beaver Stadium, stay at home, open a nice bottle of wine and watch the game from the comfort of your living room.


FWIW: Our section--SK--stood the entire first quarter, which is rather unusual. As the team started to sputter more and more, the impetus to remain standing waned. To me, it's more a matter of seeing the game. I think I yell just as loud sitting as standing, but if you can't see the field, you have to stand. Unless you have a disability, is it really that big of an issue to stand up? I don't know. Ask me again in 20 or 30 years when I'm more crotchety and stodgy.

No comments: