Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Outside The Blog

I went to the movies today with the family. It was raining so I couldn't go running or play golf--well, I couldn't do them dryly--so I figured what the heck. On my way to the Mall, I passed Jiffy Lube and knowing that I was about due for an oil change, I was struck with the brilliant idea of leaving my car there whilst I munched over-priced popcorn and laughed at Eddie Murphy making pancakes in much the same manner as I myself would.

After the movie, I headed back to Jiffy Lube whereupon I noted that my car was parked in the exact same place I had left it. I know I took the key off my ring and left it in the car. But what I forgot was that I have a habit--perhaps an obsession--with locking my car when I exit. And that is exactly what I had done.
So as I now sat in Jiffy Lube waiting for my car which would have been done had I not been so obsessive-compulsive about locking it, I began to wonder if perhaps there were other areas of my life where habit overrules common sense.

Have I spent enough time thinking outside the blog?

So as I removed skin from my tongue sipping burnt coffee--I think the pot was made well before I ever left my car there in the first place--I decided to try something different with the blog.

But what?

After considering some options, and not really having a good feel about this "outside the blog" kind of thing, I went with something radical. Something I have never done in this blog. Something that heretofore I would never have considered doing. Ever.

I decided to say something nice about THEM. I suppose I should actually use the University's name. I decided to type something nice about that school in Ann Arbor. The one with the wolverine mascot. Not THE Michigan State. The other school in Michigan, not counting those with compass directions. The University of . . . of . . . of . . . THEM.

OK. I decided to say something nice about THEM. I never said I would refer to the actual school name.


So here goes.




I'm working on it.




It's on my to do list.




OK. I got nothing.




Um, they're not Ohio State. Well, maybe that's not so much a compliment. I think it is--unless you live in Ohio. Or if you live in any other state except Michigan, in which case you probably don't care. Surely I can do better than that.




Maybe not.




Nice, uh, M. As capital letters go. It's kind of nice. Mickey Mouse uses it. Also useful as an abbreviation for meter. If you turn it upside down, it's also a W. As in wolverine. You probably never thought of that. You turn a P upside down and you get a lowercase b. That blows. So the big . . . stupid . . . block M is, um, sort of cool if you have really low expectations for coolness.
That was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I think I'll go back to thinking inside the blog, thank you very much.

No comments: