Monday, August 1, 2011

Hole in the Ozone?

Perfect Ten?

Tony Gerdeman writing on the Ozone has come up with 12 steps to becoming sober bold predictions for the upcoming Big Ten football season.

Among these are curiously specific ones like Wisconsin's quarterback will lead the Big Ten in interceptions.  MSU will be better but not win a road game.  Luke Fickell will be named coach of the year in the conference.  Nebraska will have a losing record in conference play. 

But then he comes to this gem:

10 - Penn State will start the season 10-0.

I know, right? I blinked twice as well, and I'm the one who wrote it. This all hinges on a winnable schedule for the Nittany Lions, provided the quarterback(s) and linebackers are better than competent. If they can get by Alabama in week two, then they'll likely be favored until the second-to-last week of the season when they head to Columbus. Road games at Temple, Indiana and Northwestern, are all winnable, and home games against Iowa, Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska are as well. I know it sounds outrageous, but stranger things have happened. Michigan went to a bowl game last year, for instance.

I used to have optimism like that.  I miss it.  I really do.

I can't classify Iowa as winnable until we actually, um, win a game against them.  His claim that Northwestern will have a losing season might be underestimating the Fitzgerald Factor.  The difference between 5-7 and 7-5 is two games.  I hope we can perform well on the road.

He also predicts Indiana going to a bowl game.  I still agree we should win that game, but the Hoosiers are bound to beat us sooner or later.  Let's hope for later.  Maybe in my next lifetime.

But on the other hand, I really, really, really, really hope he's right.  At least about #10.

No comments: