Thursday, July 8, 2010

Quarless on Paterno

Mike Spofford of Packers.com caught up with former PSU TE Andrew Quarless.  Among his interview answers is a question about Paterno . . .
Who's the most influential coach you've ever played for and why?



I would say Coach (Joe) Paterno. He is a legendary coach and he told me a lot of things about accountability and discipline. He was an old-school guy and a young guy like me came in and didn't really buy into the system. He made me understand his way. He is an old-school guy with his old-school ways. I think that went a long way and it helped me out a lot.
Granted, how many coaches (other sports notwithstanding) would he have played for--one, two?  But in an era where the trend is to not accept responsibility for one's actions and to blame others, his answer is commendable.  Other responses include . . .
Outside of anything in sports, what's your proudest accomplishment in life?



I definitely have to say graduating from college. Coming in as a freshman I did real bad my first semester, real bad. I was able to bounce back and graduate in three-and-a-half years.
 
What has been your greatest accomplishment on the football field?



We played in the Rose Bowl my junior year on the big stage and to be able to get that Big Ten Championship ring was a big accomplishment for my team.
Good Luck, Andrew !

No comments: